Research at Aylien: a call for collaboration
At Aylien we are using recent advances in Artificial Intelligence to try to understand natural language. Part of what we do is building products such as our Text Analysis API and News API to help people extract meaning and insight from text. We are also a research lab, conducting research that we believe will make valuable contributions to the field of Artificial Intelligence, as well as driving further product development (see this post about a recent publication on aspect-based sentiment analysis by one of our research scientists for example).
We are excited to announce that we are currently accepting applications from researchers from academia who would like to collaborate on joint research projects, as part of the Science Foundation Ireland Industry Fellowship programme. The main aim of these projects is to conduct and publish novel research in shared areas of interest, but we are also happy to work with researchers who are interested in collaborating on building products. For researchers, we feel that this is a great opportunity to work in industry with a team of talented scientists and engineers, and with the resources and infrastructure to support your work.
We are particularly interested in collaborating on work in the following areas (but are open to other suggestions):
- Representation Learning
- Domain Adaptation and Transfer Learning
- Sentiment Analysis
- Question Answering
- Dialogue Systems
- Entity and Relation Extraction
- Topic Modeling
- Document Classification
- Taxonomy Inference
- Document Summarization
- Machine Translation
Details and requirements
This work is funded by the SFI Industry Fellowship programme, and so to be eligible you must have a PhD and be currently hired as a Postdoctoral Researcher, a Research Fellow or a Lecturer by a Higher Education Institution in Ireland.
The initial duration of the project is between 12 and 24 months (12 months full-time, but you can spread it over up to 24 months if you like), but we hope to continue the collaboration afterwards. The total amount of funding available is up to €100,000.
The final application deadline is December 2nd 2016, with a tentative start date at Aylien in March 2017. We will work with you on the application, so if you are interested then you should get in touch with us as soon as possible.
You must have:
- A PhD degree in a related field (science, engineering, or mathematics), and be currently hired as a Postdoctoral Researcher, a Research Fellow or a Lecturer by a higher education institution in Ireland.
- Strong knowledge of at least one programming language, and general software engineering skills (experience with version control systems, debugging, testing, etc.).
- The ability to grasp new concepts quickly.
Preferably you should also have:
- A strong knowledge of Artificial Intelligence and its subfields.
- A strong Machine Learning background.
- Experience with the scientific Python stack: NumPy, SciPy, scikit-learn, TensorFlow, Theano, Keras, etc.
- Experience with Deep Learning.
- Good understanding of linguistics and language.
- Experience with non-English NLP.
Research at Aylien
We are a team of research scientists (PhDs and PhD students) and research engineers, working in an open and transparent way with no bureaucracy. If you join us, you will get to work with a seasoned engineering team that will allow you to take successful algorithms from prototype into production. You will also have the opportunity to work on many technically challenging problems, publish at conferences, and contribute to the development of state-of-the-art Deep Learning and natural language understanding applications.
We work primarily on Deep Learning with TensorFlow and the rest of the the scientific Python stack (Numpy, SciPy, scikit-learn etc.).
How to apply
Please send your CV along with a brief introduction (and links to any of your publicly available code and publications) to firstname.lastname@example.org.